spoon

Recent Recipes

Vanilla Cupcakes with Clementine Vanilla Buttercream

0

Category : ,

Yesterday was my friend Anna's birthday, and as I had a whole fiasco with losing my wallet on the DC Metro during a quizbowl tournament, I didn't really have much money to buy presents. And so, I did what I could and whipped up these great vanilla cupcakes with clementine-vanilla buttercream. It was originally just going to be a classic vanilla cupcake with plain ol' (but still delicious) vanilla buttercream, but luckily Daniel, another person who lives in my dorm, came in with a couple of clementines that he didn't want. One man's trash is another man's treasure, as they say. I then proceeded to squish up the clementines into smaller pieces and stick them directly into my mostly already made buttercream.
 I delivered the cupcakes to her in this great cupcake keeper, which my friends kind of made fun of me for owning (in a "Connie would" sort of way). I love this cupcake keeper. Before I got this, I had been making a shoddy keeper that involved foil being suspended above the cupcakes by toothpicks being stuck into a couple of the unlucky few baked goods that were placed on the periphery. No more worrying about cupcake piping getting ruined!

So, without further ado, here is a recipe:

Vanilla Cupcakes with Clementine Vanilla Buttercream
makes 24 minis

Cake Ingredients:
  • 1/2 c. butter
  • 1 c. sugar
  • 1 c. flour
  • 1 1/4 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 2 egg yolks
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 7 tbsp milk
  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
  2. Mix butter and sugar using a mixer until well combined.
  3. Add in flour, salt, and baking powder. Mix well.
  4. Add in wet ingredients (egg yolks, vanilla, milk) and mix.
  5. Pour into muffin cups about halfway.
  6. Bake for 15-20 minutes (toothpick test!).
 Frosting Ingredients:
  • 1/2 c. butter (room temperature)
  • 3.5 c. powdered sugar
  • 1 tsp milk
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 2 clementines
  1. Peel clementines and chop/crush them up.
  2. Mix butter and powdered sugar until creamy.
  3. Add in milk and vanilla extract. Mix well.
  4. Add in the clementines. Mix again.
Anna and Kimberly (another friend of mine) commented that the clementine really made these a hit.


0 comments:

Post a Comment